Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Sparkplug Highlight: ZIRP #4 by Till D. Thomas

ZIRP #4 starts off where #3 ended: Elisabeth and Raoul relaxing together in a stunning penthouse, giggling and splashing in the pool. While all this is going down, Rizzo departs on a sea voyage to find Elisabeth and convince her to take him back. Will he overcome his fear of living in order to find his lady friend? 
More information is revealed about all the characters in this chapter - some of them grow on me, some of them repel me. I begin to favor Rizzo despite his personal weakness. And while I never trusted Raoul, it becomes obvious that he's a complete creep. We all have our faults, and I'm beginning to think that is what Zirp is all about - the human condition of failure and fluctuating self-worth. 
At the beginning of the book, it has a quote that spells it out for us readers: "A living dog is better off than a dead lion." (Ecclesiastes 9:4). While Raoul, the lion, is living in the lap of luxury, Rizzo, the dog, is struggling through humiliation and compromise, only to find the friend that abandoned him.
I can't foresee a cliche ending to this tale. Will Elisabeth choose either of them? I kind of hope not! But I'm excited to see where Till D. Thomas leads us in this Dramatic Love Affair type of tale. 

(28 interior pages, 6.75" x 8", B&W interior, color cover with French flaps, self-published) 

Zirp #4 can be purchased here!







No comments: