Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Sparkplug Highlight: Long Legs by Julianna Green!

Long Legs is the first book in a series. What really strikes me about Julianna Green's comic style is it's density. Each page is filled with rich blacks and linework. Each character is designed to grab your attention. My eyes scan over the craft of every panel before I allow myself to read the text.
Aside from the art, the magic and imagination put into the character design and story is refreshing. The events in the story, from hypnotism to the rescue of tiny beasts, is taken first hand without explanation - clearly I've been plunged into a world of mystery and sorcery. Mystical objects and beings are commonplace in this world. 
Despite the urgency of the tale, it also has a casual tone of everyday friendship. The main characters seem to act as if their daily life is full of tricks and charms. This is an awesome introduction to a much larger story. I want to continue to travel through the world of Long Legs and I can't wait for the next issue!



20 interior pages, 4.25” x 5.5, black and white on lavender paper

Long Legs is available for purchase here!


No comments: